Marriage in DenmarkHeiraten in Dänemark


procedure for divorced / widowed

Informationen übert die Heirat in Dänemark

For divorced and widowed, the danish authorities demand for a marriage a legally binding divorce decree or a legally binding death certificate. For EU-citizens, as well as citizens of the USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia, the stamp of the respective court is sufficient. Divorce decrees has to be supplied with a stamp of which it appears, that no appeal to a higher court has been made and that you are free to marry.

Divorce decrees and death certificates from countries not listed above have to be authenticated. For the authentication procedure, it is important to know if your country is a member of the Hague Convention (Hague convention abolishing the requirement of legalisation for foreign public documents, concluded on October 5, 1961). The list of the signatory states can be found here.


member states of the Hague Convention:

  • The divorce decree or the death certificate is presented to the proper authority for authentication (Apostille). In most countries it is the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

other states:

  • The divorce decree or the death certificate is presented to the proper authority (in most countries the Ministry of Interior or Justice) for authentication.
  • Afterwards the document is authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Finally, the document has to legalised by the Danish or German embassy.

exception: Thai documents only have to be authenticated by the Danish embassy.

Read in our county list, which authentication is required

► back to "information"

Heiraten in Dänemark RingeWedding in Denmark

Marry in an unbureaucratic way